Wednesday, May 8, 2013
The fabric was my inspiration for the pattern change, 32ct Crystal Murky is what I have used for Zombie patterns in the past. As the first stitches went into the fabric my mind wandered to a time in the distant future where mermaids swim through the ruins of once great cities collecting skulls of the unfortunate race that did not survive the Zombie Apocalypse.
I loved the treasures in her hair!
The waterlilies in this project created a watercolor effect that I adore!
Ahh... my skull net! What trouble you gave me! I finished the rest of the project 3 weeks ago, but have not stitched since then.
Net tutorial: You will need an egg carton, Sashay yarn, and Stiffen Stuff.
Expand the yarn (I liked the overdyed brown and blue for more color options) and place over egg carton. Spray with Stiffen Stuff (for fabric) and let dry 20 minutes. Repeat twice more. Once dry, I threaded the net into Bezels, frames, and filigree beads (available at Michael's) and couched stitched the "waves" onto my fabric using the molded yarn as a guide. The yarn will be stiff, but still pliable. I tried Modge Podge as well, but it smelled and was far to stiff to manipulate.
Add your favorite skull beads (this was troublesome and I had to consult the Mother who stopped me from reaching for the super glue! I had to thread the bead onto the fabric then secure to the net for stability). The chandelier seemed odd to me in a sea setting. I wonder what it says about me when a skull net feels more organic!